UN Secretary-General, António Guterres and the Security Council have condemned Sunday’s bombings of two Coptic churches in Tanta and Alexandria, Egypt.
The attacks killed no fewer than 44 people and injured more than 100 others.
Guterres, in a statement by his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric, hoped that “the perpetrators of this horrific terrorist act will be swiftly identified and brought to justice”.
The Islamic State had already claimed responsibility for the two attacks.
In a separate statement, the Security Council called the bombings “heinous and cowardly”, and reaffirmed that terrorism was one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.
The bombings were also strongly condemned by the High Representative for the UN Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC).
The UN body said that the attacks, which occurred during Palm Sunday when both churches were packed with worshippers aimed at ruining the unity and diversity that characterized the Egyptian society.
The U.S. also joined the outpouring of condemnations against the attack on Coptic churches,
The Department of State, in a statement issued by its Spokesperson, Mr Mark Toner, described the bombings as barbaric.
“The United States condemns in the strongest terms, the barbaric attacks on Christian places of worship in Tanta and Alexandria that killed dozens of innocent people and injured many more on this holy day of Palm Sunday.
“We express our condolences to the families and friends of the victims and wish a quick recovery for all those injured.
“The United States will continue to support Egypt’s security and stability in its efforts to defeat terrorism,” the statement said.
President Donald Trump also condemned the attacks and urged the Egyptian Government to handle the “unfortunate’’ incident properly.
“It is so sad to hear of the terrorist attack in Egypt. U.S. strongly condemns it,” he said.