Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the minister of information and culture said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration was on track in redeeming its promises to Nigerian, particularly in the area of job creation.
Lai Mohammed said the government had commenced the process of recruiting and training 500,000 teachers
The minister said the federal government has commenced the creation of jobs across the country in fulfillment of its campaign promises.
Speaking on Monday, June 13, at the south south town hall meeting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, organized by his ministry, Mohammed said the recruitment of 500,000 teachers had commenced through the online portal ‘npower.gov.ng‘, Vanguard reports.
He listed other direct job creation and training schemes that are ongoing which include the N-Power Knowledge, which is training 25,000 Nigerians in technology and N-Power Build, which is training another 75,000 Nigerians in building services.
The minister noted that the federal government was exploring the agricultural sector for massive job creation through the re-positioning of the River Basin Development Authorities.
“Still talking about jobs, an agreement has been signed to re-position the River Basin Development Authorities within the next 18-24 months. The agreement between the River Basin Development Authorities and the Songhai Farms of Benin Republic includes the training of unemployed youths in integrated farm practice. This programme is complimentary to the upcoming Youth Agriculture Empowerment Programme being planned by the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,” he said.
According to him, work on the second Niger bridge would commence soon.
He also listed some of the road construction works that have resumed as: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Bode Sadu-Jebba road, Abuja-Lokoja road, Kano-Maiduguri road and the Loko and Oweto bridge linking Nasarawa to Benue.
“As more and more road construction works resume in the days ahead, thousands of Nigerians will also be returning to work,” Mohammed added.
Speaking earlier, Ibe Kachikwu, the minister of state for petroleum, denied allegations that President Buhari has allocated oil blocs to some people.
On the issue of militancy in the region, the minister said the blowing up of oil installations by the militants was affecting the economy and the federal government had reached out to them for a truce.
A week ago, while evaluating the performance of the incumbent government so far, the minister said Buhari and his ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) fulfilled all campaign promises.
This statement fetched him harsh criticisms from Nigerians who said he was terrible at his job.