The Nigerian army has again recorded a feat in the ant-insurgency war following an attack by troops on Boko Haram spiritual power base at the Alagarno forest, Borno state.
Disclosing details of the offensive against the insurgents, the acting director army public relations, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman in a statement made available to Naij.com said the offensive was carried out by troops of 81 Battalion and 251 Task Force Battalion of 25 Task Force Brigade, 7 Division Nigerian Army on Thursday, March 3.
He said: The troops based on tip off, conducted a clearance operation around Alagarno forest general area, destroying terrorists camps at Mosa, Ariwuzumari and Kagalmari, as well as Missene, Joba, Yajiwa and Sansan.
During the operations, the troops were able to clear all the camps, killing quite a number of terrorists and recovered Boko Haram terrorists flags hoisted on some premises.
The troops during the offensive destroyed the logistics base of the insurgents and recovered some ammunition.
Some of the arms recovered from the terrorists include AK-45 rifle with registration number 17714 and a Dane gun, 2 boxes of 7.62mm ammunition, 4 loaded magazines of AK-47 rifles and 2 magazines pack.
Other items recovered include 31 motorcycles, assorted foodstuffs, a donkey and a pick up van.
The troops were able to clear all the camps by setting them on fire.
In another raid, troops discovered a bomb-making factory in Kumshe, Borno state.
Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said troops of 7 Division Strike Group Team B on clearance operations of the remnants of Boko Haram insurgents at Kumshe made startling discoveries of Improvised Explosive Device (IED) making factory, rockets and high claibre ammunitions.
Meanwhile, a senior Boko Haram commander and fifty-five other militants have been killed during a battle with the Multi National Joint Task Force (MNTJF) at Malumfatori in the Abadam local government area of Borno state.
Reports given by local residents said the insurgents have been battling with MNTJF forces since last week for the control of the area.
One of the Nigerian military officers involved in the battle, who spoke anonymously to the press said two MNTJF soldiers were killed while two others sustained injuries.
See photos below: